March 26, 2020
Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
This follows up on my March 20th message regarding the unchartered territory we’re facing as a Local Union because of the COVID-19 pandemic. As expected, things continue to change daily, but I’m pleased to say we’ve been able to put numerous side agreements in place to protect our membership.
Our front office remains closed, but our business agents continue to work and take calls. A list of our business agents’ cell phone numbers appears at the bottom of this message.
Thank you to all our members who continue to provide essential services to our communities, including transit drivers, school bus drivers, bus mechanics, truck drivers, package drivers, sales drivers, warehouse workers, plant managers, school administrative assistants, food service managers and workers, and Costco retail workers. Every single one of you is making a difference in our daily lives.
We continue our efforts to ease the pressure of those working through this pandemic and to make sure the safety of our members remains a priority. Our efforts have convinced some employers to ease their attendance policies, while others, such as Costco, Ralphs and LAUSD, have agreed to pay additional compensation to our members who continue to report to work during this pandemic.
We’re proud to announce that the list of school districts and agencies agreeing to pay our school bus employers continues to grow. This means more of our members will continue to be paid during the school closures. The current list includes: the Los Angeles Unified School District, the Pasadena Unified School District, the Glendale Unified School District, the Alhambra Unified School District, the Hesperia Unified School District, the San Bernardino City Unified School District and SELPA. Stay tuned as we continue to work alongside our school bus employers in an effort to get all our members paid.
This past week we partnered with LAUSD to deliver tens of thousands of toys and art supplies generously donated by Mattel. Our Business Agents and I worked with Local 572 members to make sure the toys and art supplies made it from a Mattel warehouse to the hands of children at LAUSD’s Grab and Go Sites. We’re proud to have been part of this endeavor and look forward to future partnerships to help our community.
At the IBT, we’ve extended our National Master Agreement with First Student and continue to develop and pursue nationwide strategies to address the lack of personal protective equipment (PPE), the loss of work, and much needed economic relief for workers.
Like before, I’ve listed helpful websites to guide you through this crisis, including the California Labor & Workforce Development Agency website which does an excellent job of addressing and linking several legal resources and explaining how they differ or work together. I also want to highlight the LAUSD Grab and Go website. The 60 Grab and Go locations are run by some of our amazing LAUSD food service managers. They’re providing meals to persons under the age of 18; you don’t have to be an LAUSD student to get a meal.
- California Labor & Workforce Development Agency: https://www.labor.ca.gov/coronavirus2019/
- LAUSD Grab and Go Sites and other resources: https://achieve.lausd.net/resources IBT Website: https://teamsters.org/covid-19
- LA County 2-1-1 Social Services Referral & Assistance Program (food pantries, housing, mental health, etc.): https://www.211la.org/ (211LA.org) – you may also simply call 2-1-1 to speak to a live person for guidance
- CA EDD Coronavirus Benefits Info (English): https://edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019.htm
- CA EDD Coronavirus Benefits Info (Espaňol): https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019-espanol.htm
- CA EDD FAQ Sheet (English): https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019/faqs.htm
- CA EDD FAQ Sheet (Espaňol): https://www.edd.ca.gov/about_edd/coronavirus-2019/faqs-espanol.htm
- The Los Angeles County Federation (COVID-19 page): https://thelafed.org/coronavirus-covid-19-resources-information/
Remember that your employer has an obligation to keep you safe, whether it’s at the workplace or on the road. Call your business agent immediately if you need assistance in reminding them of this. We are here to help.
TEAMSTERS LOCAL 572
Local 572 Business Agent Cell Phone Numbers:
Adriana Salazar Avila – (310) 365-7872
Steve Badger – (310) 345-9734
Doug Brown – (310) 415-0375
John Flammia – (310) 702-3479
Mike Ford – (310) 499-3556
Grace Guitron – (310) 345-9326
Tait Skifstrom – (310) 345-9534
Traci Smith – (310) 345-9732
Jaime Villanueva – (310) 650-0032
Michael Williams – (310) 991-2963